Since I opened this practice in 1977, it has been my goal to better the health of our community by providing the best possible care. With this care, comes the knowledge of our 25 plus dentists. We will work to guide you to a healthy lifestyle and educate you at each appointment. The diet and lifestyle choices you make can directly impact your general health as well as the health of your teeth. To better manage your diet, it is important to be aware of what you are consuming on a daily basis. Consuming food with too much sugar can lead to tooth decay. Tooth decay occurs when plaque and sugar meet, causing acid to attack the teeth.
Foods to avoid
- Soft Drinks
- Hard Candy
- Sports drinks- you may think they are a good source of energy, but they are packed with sugar and acid
- Cocktails- sugar-heavy cocktails can lead to cavities
- Canned fruit- canned fruit contacts extra sugar. Tip: select canned fruit soaked in its own juices
Always remember to think before you eat and drink. Although this may seem like common sense, if you actually understand how the food you are consuming will impact your health, you may replace the pastry in your diet with fruit. If your diet lacks essential nutrients, then it will be more difficult for your mouth to fight off potential infections. Research has shown that those who have a poor diet and are sedentary, are more likely to develop periodontal disease than those who are physically active.
Dental tips for a healthy future
- Drink water!
- Eat a variety of food from the five major food groups
- Limit your snacks- Eating foods throughout the day can actually cause more harm to your teeth than eating at a single meal. More saliva is released during a meal; therefore the food is washed from the mouth and lessens the effects of acids.
Contact us to make an appointment today, 216-325-9755. We have the proper knowledge and expertise to get you on the right track. We want you to create a healthy future, the Hudec Dental way!
Sources: American Dental Association