We know, we know. Scary right!?
So many people out there are afraid of dentists. People are so commonly frightened of dentists, we’re surprised more people don’t dress up as dentists for Halloween.
Joking aside, we understand fear of the dentist is a legitimate and an all too common fear. Unlike many fears, this one unfortunately gets in the way of a patient’s health. In that way this fear is no laughing matter to our office.
Over the years, we’ve seen many patients who are terrified to be in the dentist’s chairs. Through this experience, we’ve found some tips to help even the most frightened patients calm down a little bit.
Here are some of the best ways to overcome a fear of the dentist.
- Admit Your Fear – A big part of getting over a fear is admitting a problem. Talk to someone you trust, a stranger, a psychologist or whoever you feel would be an appropriate outlet. Talking it out will help ease your nerves rather than keeping it all bottled up inside.
- Take the Day Off – If at all possible take the day off when you need to come into the dentist. There is nothing worse than going from being stressed at work to a dentist chair when you are scared of the dentist. Instead make a trip to the dentist a holiday rather than a chore.
- Choose a Friendly Dental Office – Finding a dental office that matches with your personality will help ease some of the stress. Most dentists and their staff get into the business, because they want to help people. More often than not you’ll be greeted with smiling faces. Luckily, at Hudec Dental, we have 35 doctors to choose from. Our doctors are male and female, speak a variety of languages, have diverse experiences, and most importantly they all have ONE passion, dentisty! For more information on
our locations, click here.
- Let the Dental Office Know – Dental offices have worked with plenty of patients who are afraid to be there. We have special procedures to help frightened patients feel as comfortable as possible. Don’t be embarrassed- we have dealt with many patients who suffer from the same phobia as you!
- Know It is for Your Own Good – Dental health is an imperative part of health and well-being. You may perceive it as an unpleasant experience to visit the dentist office, but ultimately it is for your own good.
Never Give Up
Even if you feel like you want to just give up on the idea of going to the dentist always be willing to give it a try. With enough courage and encouragement you’ll come in to get the treatment you need.